Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs

Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs
This recipe is, in my eyes (and taste buds), the best dish I've made in the two years I've been cooking as a hobby.  Kabobs are a great meal whether using chicken, beef, fish or whatever.  The way all the flavors marry together and make your taste buds jump off your tongue.  This Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs recipe I cooked on an electric griddle but would work even better cooked on a grill.  If using wooden skewers on a grill, I would suggest soaking the skewers in cold water so they don't burn or char when on the grill.  Enjoy!

Ingredients
- 2-3 chicken breasts (cubed)
- Lawry's Teriyaki marinade
- 1-2 green bell peppers
- 1 white onion
- 1 can pineapple cubes
- garlic salt & pepper (to taste)
- skewers (wooden or metal)

*Note: I don't measure ingredients when I cook, so I will try to estimate how much I used in the cooking directions below.

Preparation
1.  Take thawed chicken breasts and cut them into cubes.  Mine were roughly 2x2in. cubes but size is up to you.  Try to keep the chicken cut at the same size so cooking time is even.  Place cubed chicken into a gallon sized plastic bag and pour teriyaki marinade over chicken.  I used about 1.5 cups of marinade; just enough to barely cover the chicken.  Seal the bag and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes (the more time the better).

2.  While chicken is marinating, cut your green peppers and onions into about 1x1in. squares.

3.  Once the chicken is done marinating it's time to "stab" your food.  This is the part where you can get creative with the order of the food.  Some people might evenly distribute the ingredients, I did mine randomly.  However, there are equal number of chicken on each skewer.  Use the image as a guide if needed.



Cooking
1.  Season kabobs to your taste with the galic salt and pepper. (I don't add extra salt because I am conscious about sodium intake, so the garlic salt is enough sodium for me.)  Place kabobs on griddle/grill on medium to high heat.  Rotate kabobs as needed; cook chicken until no pink in the middle.
*Note: Since I used an electric griddle, after about 5 minutes of cooking I realized that the kabobs weren't going to evenly cook because not all of the items were touching the griddle.  I decided to take a large brownie pan to cover the kabobs.  This creates a steaming effect that helps distribute the heat evenly among the kabobs.  Also, keeps the chicken moist.

2.  Add extra marinade if desired during the cooking process.  Once chicken is cooked through, plate and serve.



The Teriyaki Chicken Kabobs were great on top of white rice and a side of cooked green beans (with olive oil and salt and pepper to season).





(Makes 2 Servings)

No comments:

Post a Comment